Faro Sightseeing (vai ser imagem)
Igreja do Carmo
Built in the middle of the 18th century, Carmo church, with its Baroque facade and twin bell towers is one of the most important historical monuments in the Algarve.
Capela dos Ossos
The Chapel of Bones is from 1816 and displays the bones of more than 1,200 monks from the Carmelite cemetery. The Chapel of Bones is in the gardens belonging to the Igreja do Carmo.
The historical old town is divided into two main areas: the Vila-Adentro, the oldest part; and the Mouraria, the area where the Moors settled from the late thirteenth century. The Vila-Adentro is contained almost entirely within the medieval city walls and accessed via three medieval gates, or arches.
Arco da Vila
Arco da Vila is a monumental neo-classical archway leading to the old town, with remains of the original Moorish wall.
Sé Catedral de Faro
In the old town of Faro you can find the Cathedral of Faro, also known as Igreja de Santa Maria. This monument was started in 1251, just two years after Faro had been “reconquered” from the Moors. The church was built over the ruins of an ancient roman temple having been a mosque during the Arabic period and converted into a cathedral after king D. Afonso’s III conquest.
Muralhas de Faro
The walls with its primitive, pre-Roman origins continue to encircle the historical Cidade Velha (Old town). They were beefed up, and later restored twice during the Moorish period in the 9th and then the 12th century.
S H A R E S O M E L O V E ❤